Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A conundrum of sorts.

What does it say about a person, a writer, that they get more mileage out of typing on the fly than if they plot, plan and research?  Through planning, do they become more invested in their characters and therefore, have more trouble putting them in harm's way?  Or do they become selfish and just not want to share?

I have no idea.  But all I know is that when I just start typing, with no story, no character, no plot in mind, I end up with a lot more words that make a heck of a lot more sense than when I plan a story.

Anyone else like that?  Please, let there be someone else like that.  I can't afford therapy. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm exactly the same. While I can brainstorm, outline and write to the outline, the heart of the story, characters and world somehow gets lost in the process. It's just easier to free write, and go back to clean it up/add missed details later.

    Have you ever read Stephen King's writing memoir, On Writing? If not, I suggest it. He also writes without planning ahead.

    ReplyDelete